Friday, December 23, 2011

To Santa or not to Santa....?

So this Christmas has really brought some things up for me. It's been a REALLY long time since we bothered with Santa Claus in my family. I'm not sure when I stopped believing (or if I ever truly did believe that he exsists). It meant a lot to my mom, but it never really meant that much to me. Since we had Olivia though it's really got me thinking. I'm still on the fence about whether I want to do Santa or not. On the one hand, it really means a lot to John and my mom to do it with Olivia. On the other hand, I'm coming to a better place with God and Catholicism. I want to make sure Olivia knows that presents and Santa (if we do Santa) are way, WAY second to the true reason for the season--Jesus. John and I already talked about not going overboard with the presents (like my parents kind of did with me) and only giving Olivia three gifts (one she needs, one she wants, and one she reads) after the three gifts that Jesus got. I also really like the idea of doing a "birthday party for Jesus" like one of my friends does on Christmas Eve. Instead of having milk and cookies out for Santa, they make a birthday cake for Jesus and celebrate and pray. I enjoyed having Santa when I was little, but it is being used not to further secularize and commercialize Christmas, which I am VERY much against! I like doing gifts at Christmas, but I like GIVING them more than RECEIVING them. It makes me really happy giving gifts to my loved ones and seeing them happy. I think Christmas is about the birth of Jesus and about family and love. I want Olivia to understand that too and understand that it's not just about getting gifts and whatever you want. Also, the idea of Santa is kind of creepy --a fat, old, bearded man that watches you sleeping and sneaks into your house via chimney? CREEPY!!! I talked to John about it and he does want to do Santa with Olivia, but I'm just not sure about it. It's hard because I was raised with Santa, so I wouldn't know how to NOT do it with her. I don't want to take something precious away from her childhood, but my moral compass is just not pointing towards the North pole......

No comments:

Post a Comment