Monday, December 5, 2011

Family Day

So I finally got to go to Family Day at John's unit. He's been trying to get me to go for years, but stuff always comes up. Usually it was because I was working at JCPenney and you just can't get a weekend off from retail THIS time of year! But last year I think I was teaching Sunday school and doing lector at church or something. Anyway, I got to go this year and it was BOOOORING! They did some church service which I didn't attend because I don't feel comfortable attending Protestant church services (Yes, I am kind of being that way, but whatever) Mostly John and I just hung out and talked and showed off the baby. EVERYONE loved seeing her, kept commenting on how cute she is. She is pretty stinkin' cute, if I may be so prejudiced. Olivia was in a great mood too--smiling and laughing at everybody--which was kind of a relief because she's been teething so bad lately. After that we went to Baumhower's because I was REALLY craving some wings and fried pickles. John was still in his dress uniform and Olivia and I were still in our dress up clothes and I didn't think about it at the time, but I'm sure people were looking at us. I always forget when we go out and John's wearing his Army uniform that people stare at us. Anyway, we were just over there eating and feeding Olivia her baby food when our waitress came up and told us somebody had paid for our lunch, so we wouldn't be getting a ticket! John and I were FLOORED! Then kind of panicked because we didn't have any cash with which to tip our waitress, but she told us they had even taken care of her tip! It makes John feel uncomfortable, I think. People are always paying for his lunch or giving him gifts when he's out in his uniform (one time somebody gave him a Beanie baby wearing fatigues!) or even just coming up to thank him for his service. He asked me one time what he should say when somebody comes up to thank him. I told him to just say "You're welcome", which he does now (still looking a bit uncomfortable though). After lunch we went to Buy Buy Baby. I just wanted to look at their Christmas stuff. I was disappointed--most of it was already gone. I did get Olivia one of her Christmas presents (a giant version of her teething caterpillar, which she loves). I'm going to put it in her giant stocking that we got! I also was looking at one of those kits to make a baby handprint ornament. I wasn't really sure about spending the money, but John could tell I wanted to get it, so he said I should go ahead. I did. We had a lot of fun making it. Lol The print we got is really good, but it kind of looks like she's doing the Vulcan "Live long and prosper" sign, which is funny. We had some leftover mold and were goofing around, so we also made one with Achilles's pawprint (we didn't have enough left to make one of Olivia's foot) They're both really cute. They came with some pink, blue, yellow, and white ribbon so you can hang them depending on whichever color you like, but I'm going to use some of the red and green yarn leftover from making our Christmas wreath. I think it'll make the ornament looking a little Christmasy-er. I'm glad we went ahead and bought the kit. It wasn't very expensive, but John and I are hurting for money. I was looking at Olivia though and thinking that in a couple of weeks she's going to be SIX MONTHS OLD! I can't believe it! I love that she's growing and learning and can do new things everyday, but I'm also a little sad. When she was a newborn, I would hold her while she slept and just STARE at her! I knew that those moments would be short and over before I knew it, so I wanted to savor it as much as I could. I would stare and stare at her every chance I got to try to sear it into my mind how she looked, how she smelled, how absolutely beautiful she was, and still....she's growing up! I know that I'll cherish that ornament for years from now when she's all grown up and being a teenager and thinking John and I are total losers... Lol

1 comment:

  1. I nominated you for a blog award on my page!

    And that's sweet that y'all got her an ornament. I still have the first ornament that my parents bought me. =)

    ReplyDelete